Why We Fight  

I grew up in the union movement. Dad and Gramps were both steelworkers and my dad even became the secretary of his local, back in the day. Having grown up with this strong foundation in solidarity, it wasn't a stretch for me to also find commonality with the songs that Billy Bragg sings and often even writes.

One of my favorite songs by Bragg is The World Turned Upside Down. It's not one of his original pieces, but the way he sings it reminds me of why SOLIDARITY is vital to all of us, every one of us. If you don't know the story behind the song, I recommend you head over to Spartacus School, they have a pretty simplified version of the story.



I think of the diggers often and wish them well and all of those who came before them and all of us, who have come after.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

0 comments

Post a Comment