New Job, Temporarily  

Because of the blogging I do, I've had the opportunity to be exposed to new technologies that lots of folks in Government haven't had the opportunity to do. It's a labor of love for me, clearly. Growing up in union probably had a hand in it all.

Anyway, I'd been feeling sort of like a tiny cog in the machine at work for several months, perhaps as much as a year. I'm sure lots of you know that feeling, where no one listens to anything you say, morale is low, everyone you know seems to be trying to jump ship and those staying seem to be resigned to the fact that this is as good as it gets.

All in all, it's been sad.

It was so sad and frustrating, I contacted the local and asked to be represented.

I am now a member of the union, but not yet represented by the local. But the local has already been so awesome, they've stepped in and helped a couple of times already with the boss. The shop steward used his leave to do it.

With everything that has happened to me over the last few months, I really was feeling like there was no hope. But the way the union has stepped up has made me feel like there's someone out there in my corner. And that feeling has been amazing.

So, when this opportunity came up to go on a temporary assignment to another government agency to work in something I've been doing with my labor blogging, well, let's just say that nothing summed it up best than this video



I got to meet all my new temporary co-workers and felt like I can contribute to something that will hold meaning for the agency I'm heading to as well as other government agencies. Now, I'm hoping I can do it. I'm a bit scared because folks have faith in me, and I'm absolutely terrified that I'm going to let them down. And yet, I'm beyond over the moon excited about getting to do this. Having these two competing emotions is really kind of cool.

Come Monday morning, I'll get to do the new job stuff. I'm so excited! I'm no longer a cog in the machine!

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

0 comments

Post a Comment