This One's For The Homeless  


We all get caught up in our own lives. I know I have. From my kid heading to Egypt (Boo, I miss you so much) for a year to study Arabic to taking friends home for the holidays to that darn Master's degree (just a few more classes, it's half over now!). It's my stuff, and I'm wrapped up. Rick isn't though:

He has been asking listeners to stop by his outdoor studio and donate either food or money to help Project S.H.A.R.E and Carlisle C.A.R.E.S., two organizations that help feed those in need in Central Pennsylvania. This is the third year he's spent a week outdoors.

Unlike the dearth of right wing talk radio hosts who spend every moment on air spreading lies and hate, Smith is a breath of fresh air. All he is aiming for is that "people will empty their hearts and wallets and grocery bags and help us out."


Could you imagine if this was your life? Rick's doing this for a week, and for a third time, to draw attention, but what if this was a day to day reality:

According to a news report, "the reality is I've got three small children and I can't imagine if this were my reality. I can't imagine where I would go or what I would do," said Smith.


I can't even begin to imagine. What are the kinds of decisions, lack of decisions, forced situations that can lead you to being this kind of screwed? As wrapped up in my own stuff as I am, as many of are, it's a breath of fresh air to hear about folks like Rick, doing what should be done, drawing attention to a real issue, and one that often flies under our radar.

You can donate online for Rick's effort here. You can also listen to Rick's show online at www.thericksmithshow.com and if you're in Central PA, you can pick up his talk radio show every weeknight from 9PM-12AM on WIOO 97.9FM and WEOO 93.9FM. I'm a bit partial to Rick, probably because of what he talks about, working men and women, and there's also the time he had me on the show. What can I say, I'm still a little wrapped up, huh?

If you get a chance check out Rick's blog and webcam and see how his homeless week has gone thericksmithshow.com And, give him some love.

Blessed Be

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

0 comments

Post a Comment