AND, on the SCAB Front...  

So, I'm looking at my referral pages and I notice that I'm getting hits for calling Colbert and Stewart scabs. Not Maher, Leno or O'Brien, go figure.

Today, I see something new, syndicated cartoonists taking the scabs to task for, well, being scabs!!!

Here's what Ted Rall's had to say:



These two strike-breakers think they can justify their actions away with the sort of lame arguments they usually get paid to mock when politicians make them. Let's take them one at a time:

1. Their staffers were in danger of losing their jobs if they didn't come back on the air. That's true. It could happen. It's called collateral damage, and it sucks. It's also called solidarity. For all of us to get ahead, we all have to pull together and suck up the hard times. The whole point of a strike is to cause enough inconvenience to force management to negotiate in good faith. If Comedy Central ordered Stewart and Colbert back on the air, they ought to have quit. That's called integrity. [Ms. Hardin Smith, did you catch that?]

2. They're talking a lot on the air about unionism and the strike. While that's very meta, it doesn't wash. The best way to make sure the corporate bosses feel the pinch would have been to stay off the air.


All the emphasis added was mine. Yeah, as if that's a shock to all three of you.

Matt Bors did something similar in taking Colbert to task using a very Colbert type frame, The Word, seriously, go check it out. But this sums up exactly how I feel about this issue:



There are numerous shades of gray that can be applied to how difficult there decision was, but when it comes down to it, I see it like this: they are WGA members, there was no deal for them to go back on air and they clearly have written material. Therefore, they should not be back on the air. They should be out on the sidewalk.


And that is what we in labor advocacy call SOLIDARITY. Dudes, you knocked this one out the ballpark. Thank you!!



Digg!

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

3 comments

  • faboo mama  
    2:10 AM

    That's cool. My post on these people is ready to go up tomorrow. I had to interview some writer's on their thoughts on the subject.

  • bendygirl  
    3:30 PM

    Can't wait to read it!

  • Blogger  
    2:21 AM

    Just got my check for $500.

    Sometimes people don't believe me when I tell them about how much you can get by taking paid surveys online...

    So I show them a video of myself actually getting paid $500 for doing paid surveys to set the record straight once and for all.

Post a Comment